Sunday, March 7, 2010

Day One, Part One: Dressed to Impressed

When I woke up Saturday morning, I spent several minutes in bed fretting about what to wear for the showings. And should I straighten my hair? How much makeup? Knowing that we were seriously starting this house hunting adventure, I thought perhaps it might be a good idea to show up looking at least marginally classy.

And then there was Mike. Sporting jeans he’d probably worn the past 2 days, an faded “Evergreen State” t-shirt from a trip to Washington we took a few years ago and the scrubbiest, nastiest hoodie in his collection, he was ready to go. Granted, he was on his way to coach hockey before we went to our showings, but I was astounded that he wasn’t at least bringing a nice shirt to change into.

After about the sixth time I asked him “Are you sure you don’t want to bring anything to change into,” he looked at me and said, “Hannah, being dressed like I can afford a $500,000 house doesn’t mean I can afford a $500,000 house. If they don’t want to sell us a house because I’m wearing this sweatshirt, then screw them.”

And you know what? He’s totally right. Wearing fancy, designer shoes or clothes or accessories, in the end, is not going to buy you a house. I think this is a mistake that a lot of homebuyers (especially young ones) make—they think that no one will take them seriously (or people will take them more seriously) unless they are dressed to the nines. Ladies, should you wash your hair and slap a little lipstick on? Yes. Guys, should you shave that five o’clock from two days ago shadow and make sure you have some deodorant on? Yes. But do you need to make yourself out to be something you’re not? Absolutely not.

Which leads me to another in my series of HTFACUIP.

Tip #2: Expensive, designer clothes ≠ expensive, designer home. Sure, there are people out there who will undoubtedly have both. But keep dreaming if you think that strolling in with your Gucci sunglasses, Jimmy Choos and Louis Vuitton bag is going to buy you that half million dollar house. While what you wear to meet an agent or see a house should be a reflection of you, it should, above all other things, be comfortable. If this means your nicest, designer clothes, then by all means go ahead and wear them. But I’m guessing for most of you a comfy pair of jeans, your favorite sneakers and fun t-shirt accurately represents you. In the end, only one type of money talks—the money a bank is willing to lend you for a mortgage. And last time I checked, they don’t send a banker to check out your closet before approving you.

So wear what you want and remember that the only thing that really matters when it comes to buying a house is whether or not you have the money to back up the offer. Mike may have been strolling around looking a bit scrubby, but in the end his checkbook can back up a purchase like this far better than I could on even my most fabulously stylish day.

…but I still wore heels and trendy spring scarf (sticking out of my coat in this über mature picture below taken in the front porch of house #3...more info in the next post).
♥H

No comments:

Post a Comment